The Northport Wellness Center offers a brain training program known as Neurofeedback (Braincore).
Neurofeedback provides a safe, proven, and non-invasive way to alleviate symptoms and improve performance without the use of medication.
The human brain is one of the most complex structures in the universe. But in order for it to function optimally, each part of the brain must constantly talk to one another. The brain accomplishes this communication by transmitting signals along neurons that connect one area to another. These signals are expressed as brain waves.
There are four distinct brain wave frequencies:
- Beta – Produced when you are awake and engaged in active thought
- Alpha – Produced mostly when you close your eyes and relax
- Theta – Produced when you start to fall asleep
- Delta – Produced when you are sleeping
However, in some individuals, the “normal” brain-wave patterns—years of research has demonstrated that there is an accepted normal pattern of brain-wave activity—are disrupted. This results in a condition known as Neurological Dysregulation Syndrome (NDS), in which someone’s nervous system does not produce the appropriate levels at the appropriate times for any given situation.
NDS can manifest in various ways and can affect both children and adults:
- Focus and attention issues (ADD/ADHD)
- Oppositional and defiant behavior (ODD)
- Autism spectrum disorders (ASD/PDD-NOS)
- Obsessive Compulsive behaviors (OCD)
- Stress and anxiety; inability to cope or manage (PTSD)
- Depression and mood swings (bipolar & personality disorders)
- Tics (vocal/physical), stimming, echolalia
- Chronic pain and physical discomfort
- Insomnia and other sleep related issues
- Learning disabilities; Dyslexia
- Memory (short term, long term, retention)
- Trouble with weight loss
- History of migraines and headaches
- History of traumatic brain injuries
- Struggle with addictions
- Overall desire to perform more optimally
Neurofeedback helps correct NDS without the use of pharmaceuticals.
Before beginning the Northport Wellness Center’s Neurofeedback program, a comprehensive assessment called a QEEG (quantitative electroencephalography) is performed. A prior diagnosis is not required, nor will one be made. The assessment enables our providers to determine, in a scientifically objective manner, whether your brainwave patterns are different from normal.
During our Neurofeedback training sessions, non-invasive surface sensors are placed on the surface of the scalp. Our system then translates these brainwaves onto a computer screen for observation. Visual, auditory, or tactile feedback is displayed when the individual is producing a regulated brain-wave pattern which acts as a reward, or positive reinforcement.
Over the course of several training sessions, the brain learns to modify itself and begins producing the appropriate brain waves at the appropriate times. Therefore, a regulated brain-wave pattern is produced, and reinforced through, which helps alleviate symptoms and improve overall performance for long lasting results.
Please log-in and complete the patient profile, history, metabolic, and CEC tabs. A password will be sent to the email address you provided when you made your appointment.
You may access your profiles to view and/or edit account information and update your progress tracker.
*The technology and software used in our office is created, powered, and supported by Braincore Systems, INC.