“This being human is a guest house. Every morning is a new arrival. A joy, a depression, meanness, some momentary awareness comes as an unexpected visitor...Welcome and entertain them all. Treat each guest honorably. The dark thought, the shame, the malice; - meet them at the door laughing, and invite them in. Be grateful for whoever comes, because each has been sent as a guide from beyond.”
How much of our energy and time is consumed on emotions, thoughts, or events, (whether joyful or unpleasant) in which we have to deal with as part of life? Do we let them consume our life in such a way that the world stops and time passes us by without really being present enough to gain clarity as to what it all means? Do we ignore other opportunities, experiences or people that “show up” in our life? Do we overlook the person who is in need of help or the person who is there to help you?
"Through our movements and holds in our poses on our mat we learn our about ourselves emotionally and physically."
Yoga is not only a physical exercise but it also allows for our inner self to be revealed and for us to learn how to be present with each and every breath we take. Through our movements and holds in our poses on our mat we learn our about ourselves emotionally and physically. Through meditation, we learn that stillness of the mind, tuning into our surroundings, and acceptability of allowing our true thoughts to flow over and over again uninterrupted can bring us clarity and answers we search for.
Our Long Island-based yoga practice called The Healthy Loft encompasses an enrichment of what we learn on the mat as a whole that we can bring into the world off the mat, too. This includes embracing the following:
- Patience and to be in the moment to deal with temporary obstacles or individuals that cross our path in life.
- To stay in the present moment.
- Appreciation of the knowledge that we are truly different. It is amazing to be who we are as individuals.
- Everyone in the world has a special quality. At times it is buried deep within. We can help others to allow theirs to shine.
- Don’t always focus on your or others negativity. We have the power to turn it around or find the positive in the bigger picture.
- Community is important to move forward. Falling, failing, sharing, and asking for help moves us forward. Community is a great support system.
- Participating in community can also lead you to experiences that you otherwise would never try.
- It is never too late to learn.
- There is always a way to make it work for you and others. (Can’t reach the floor—bring the floor to you, balance is off—support of the wall, want to move a little deeper or scared of a pose—use a partner). Find your props in your daily life.
Life is an adventure! Allow yourself to enjoy the journey while working to achieve your goals. Let yoga help you to achieve balance and wellness along the way.